Do you know about the Hamilton Youth Foundation?
Every month, Hamilton Farm Equipment puts ¼% of our gross sales into an account called the Hamilton Youth Foundation. Our gross sales are the total of the parts, service, irrigation, and whole goods purchases that our Customers make each month. The purpose of this foundation, which was started in 1992, is to "Educate, support, and promote youth who live in our trade area and are involved in agriculture and natural resource endeavors".
A Board of Directors represents a broad spectrum of our Trade Area agriculture and vocational education. Members serve on a voluntary basis for 3 year terms and the current members are:
- Roy Hamilton - a fruit grower and retires Extension Agent from Coulee Dam
- Jerry Asmussen - a cattle rancher from Tonasket
- Carrie Fink - a teacher from Winthrop
- Gaylord Schank - retired school administrator from Winthrop
- Ed Townsend - a cattle and wheat rancher from Okanogan
- Julie Pyper - Chelan County PUD, from Ephrata
- Kevin Amsden - a Vocational Ag teacher at Manson High School
- Diane Thornton - an orchardist from Tonasket
- Chuck Goldmark - a cattle and wheat rancher from Okanogan
- Greg Hamilton (Chairman) - manager of Hamilton Farm Equipment Center, Okanogan
Listed below are the ways the Foundation has chosen to invest in the youth of our Trade Area since 1992:
- $4,150 has gone for Okanogan County annual 4H achievement pins 4H Leadership grants
- A total of $11,210 has been invested in miscellaneous grants to individuals and groups for many worthwhile projects that have benefited many in Okanogan County
- A total of $167,105 has been invested in the market stock sales at the Okanogan, Chelan, and Ferry County Fairs since 1992
- Over $2,000 has been loaned out at NO INTEREST to youth wanting help in buying animals to raise for the Fair, and all loans have been paid back
- 68 Scholarships, $500 each, and 43 $800 scholarships have been awarded to local youth to further their education at Vocational Colleges, Junior Colleges, and 4-Year Universities
Since 1992, the Hamilton Youth Foundation has invested $251,205 in the youth of Okanogan, Ferry, Douglas and Chelan Counties. The HYF Board of Directors and Hamilton Farm Equipment Center think the return on that investment to the communities involved has been fantastic and will continue to grow because our children are our future!
A "thank you" video from Quincee Heindselman, 2011 recipient...
The goal of the Hamilton Youth Foundation is to educate, support and promote Okanogan
area youth who are involved in agricultural and natural resource endeavors.
Purpose & Criteria
The Foundation provides scholarships to universities, community colleges and vocational
schools for North Central Washington area high school graduates who meet ONE or both
of these criteria:
- Have been, or are currently involved in, agricultural and/or natural resource
activites, such as 4-H or FFA.
- Are interested in pursuing educational studies in agriculture or natural resourcerelated
fields. (Other areas of study will also be considered.)
Student may apply for one scholarship renewal.
Scholarship request for funds should be 2 pages maximum, explaining the applicant's
future educational goals and why the Foundation should grant his/her request. In
addition, applicants need to submit letter of recommendation from two people other than
family, and a copy of his/her current high school transcript. An interview or presentation
before the Board of Directors may be required. Send all materials to:
Hamilton Youth Foundation
P.O. Box 1098
Okanogan, WA 98840-1098
If you have any questions, please call Greg Hamilton at 422-3030 or 877-422-3030.
Scholarships are awarded annually. Applications must be received by the Foundation
later than the 1st of April.